Faith and Science
Faith and Science
In most schools today, students are taught their ancestors began as slime, which changed over lots of time, into one kind of an animal after another, and finally into people. This idea is called evolution. Some evolutionary teachers even teach it is “dumb” to believe in a Creator. They teach that faith in God and the “facts” of science do not agree. We have even heard it said, “If you believe in God, you cannot be a true scientist!” But does being a scientist mean we need to be an atheist (someone who doesn’t believe in God)? No! You can believe in God and still be a scientist!
In fact many of the greatest men and women of science did not think it was “dumb” to believe in God. Many of these early scientists believed the Bible was the Word of God and could be trusted as truth. Many also believed in Jesus as the only way to be saved from our sins. As they studied the laws and workings of nature they realized that the Universe could not have made itself. They understood by the things they studied that it took a Creator to make everything (Romans 1:20). They believed that Creator was God. They thought part of science was “thinking God’s thoughts after Him.”(1) They used science to understand and use the laws God made in nature to help mankind, and to give God glory.
Here are just a few early, Bible-believing scientists whose patient study and investigation led to the scientific age:
1. Francis Bacon (15611626) came up with the scientific method … a way of study in which a hypothesis (idea) is tested by careful, recorded experiments that can be repeated by any other researcher.
2. Louis Pasteur (1822-1895) found that many of the illnesses in humans and animals are because of harmful germs that attack the body. He invented pasteurization to kill germs in milk products. He discovered many germs that cause diseases and found vaccines to fight them. He found vaccines to fight rabies and diphtheria. Pasteur also proved that “spontaneous generation” (life comes from non-life) was wrong … life only comes from living things.
3. Blaise Pascal (1623-1662), a French scientist, taught himself geometry at the age of 12 years old. He invented a calculator and discovered that liquid in a container carries the same pressure in every direction. Known as “Pascal’s Law,” this important discovery is used to make hydraulic jacks and compressors work.
4. Matthew Maury (18061873) is known as “the Father of Oceanography.” One day he was reading the Bible and read about the “paths of the seas” in Psalms 8:8. Because he believed the Bible, Maury began to search for oceanic rivers and currents. Guess what? He found them! He wrote the first textbook on modern oceanography which has helped ocean travel ever since. These are only a few of the many scientists who were firm believers in God’s Word and marveled at His creation. You can also have strong faith in this age of science, just as these scientists did.
For more information a book titled Men of Science Men of God is available for purchase at www.discovercreation.org/store/youthadult.htm Or see a list of Bible believing scientists - Bible Believing Scientists of the Past.
- 1) Morris, H. M. 1982. Bible-Believing Scientists of the Past. Acts & Facts. 11 (1).
By Lanny and Marilyn Johnson
Please call our office or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional resources on these subjects.